Mutual exchange

If you are a secure or an assured tenant you can swap homes with another tenant. This is called a ‘mutual exchange.’

What is a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange doesn’t just mean you have to swap like for like. You could:

  • Downsize
  • Upsize
  • Swap across the country… or down the road
  • Swap a flat for a house… or a house for a maisonette
  • Get somewhere with a garden
  • Find a property without stairs or adapted for the disabled.

Once you have found the property you wish to swap you must always obtain the written permission from both landlords. Your landlords will then complete all the paperwork with you and let you know if you are eligible for a swap.

How do I apply for mutual exchange?

If you are interested in the mutual exchange scheme then you can:

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more