Affordability assessment

If you’re a new or prospective tenant of Karbon Homes you need to complete an affordability assessment. Please note, your application will not be processed until it has been completed.

The assessment – which can be completed online (link below) – checks your income and expenditure to ensure you can afford the cost of a home with us.

All information you supply will be viewed by our Home Choice team to assess the correct property size for your income and to identify if additional support from Karbon is needed when you start your tenancy



  • Benefit Cap
  • Under-occupation (Bedroom tax)
  • Local Housing Allowance (LHA) in social housing
  • Housing Support for under 21s




If you don't have reliable access to the internet, you can contact us and we can assist you with filling in this form.

Your household income

In order for you to complete the online assessment you will need to know about all income that your household receives.

By income and household, we mean:

  • Details of all your personal income, such as wages from your employment or income from state benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Working Tax Credit, State Pension, Occupational Pension, Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • If you are claiming Universal Credit you can log on to your UC Journal to obtain this information (but you will need your log in details)
  • If you are married, in a civil partnership, or living with someone as a couple, what is your partner’s income from wages or state benefits? We need to know this as you will be assessed as a couple
  • How much money do you have in savings, investments and other capital?
  • Will you have anyone else living with you, e.g. grown-up children? What is their income from wages or state benefits?
  • Does anyone receive Carer’s Allowance for looking after you or anyone in your household?


The above information should be available on your wage slip and/or original benefit award letter. If you are not sure of the name or amount of state benefit you receive, you can contact Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) or HM Revenue & Customs for more information.

Providing us with your documents

Once you’ve completed your affordability assessment, you will need to provide us with proof of income.

Proof of income can include:

  • A recent P60
  • Latest two payslips
  • Bank statement dated no later than three months ago.

You’ll need to bring your original documents into your local Karbon Homes office for us to process.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

What happens next?

Once you have completed your affordability assessment and provided all the other relevant documents* we need to process your housing application, your dedicated Home Choice Advisor will check your results to see whether you can or cannot currently afford one of our homes. You will be notified of our decision via email or letter.

If the results show that you cannot afford one of our homes under your current circumstances we will refer you to our Foundations for Life team. An advisor will contact you to discuss your situation and identify ways they may be able to support you to maximise your income.

*Proof of ID, Proof of Address & Proof of Income. 

For more support

If you would like further support or help with completing the affordability assessment – please contact us.

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more