How to rent with Karbon

Lots of people get in touch asking us how to get a Karbon home – let us talk you through it.

Who is eligible

Anyone can apply to live in our homes, and we have a variety of properties becoming available all the time. Our areas include Newcastle, Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Gateshead, Durham, Darlington, Sunderland* and Stockton.

You have to apply through a system called ‘Choice Based Letting’ for most of our properties. Put simply, this means you can choose the area you want to live in.

*Currently Sunderland does not operate in a Choice Based Lettings scheme.

Once you know what area you want to live in, you need to check what is available there. Our properties, along with those from other social landlords, are advertised by the local authority in that area:

What to do

To be able to apply for properties you’ll need to register with the Choice Based Lettings scheme in the area you wish to live. You will be asked to fill in a form and if you meet the eligibility criteria they will add you to their list of applicants. If you are unsure on how to apply you can contact us and we can help you.

Once you’ve found a property you want to live in, you need to put in a ‘bid’. A ‘bid’ just means you choose which house you would like to move into and what your needs are – you don’t have to pay any money.

Properties are advertised over a number of days in a ‘bidding cycle.’

What happens next

At the end of the bidding cycle a shortlist of bidders for each property is produced and we will work our way through this shortlist.

Karbon will offer the property to the person at the top of the eligibility list. If the first person on the list doesn’t take the property, the next person will be offered it and so on until the property is allocated.

I’m homeless – can you help?

We don’t currently provide emergency accommodation for homeless people – if you are homeless you need to contact your local council’s housing solutions team.

Other organisations such as Citizens Advice or Shelter provide free independent advice on all housing problems.

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more