Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is a crime, and includes any type of physical, emotional, sexual, financial or psychological abuse between people in a relationship.

Get help if you're experiencing abuse

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the police.

There are a multitude of support networks available to provide you with help and advice.

National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327 

Broken Rainbow National Helpline – LGBT: 0300 999 5428 (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender support)

Halo Project - emergency telephone 08081 788 424, for advice in a non emergency 01642 683045 (honour-based violence, forced marriages and FGM support)


If you’re concerned about someone else seeing what you’ve been searching for online, cover your tracks and find out how to clear your browser history


Local Support


Victims First Northumbria - 0800 011 3116

Newcastle Women's Aid - 0191 265 2148

Wearside Women In Need - 0191 565 8877

Wear Valley Women's Aid - 01388 600 094

Harbour Support Services (County Durham) - 03000 20 25 25

My Sister's Place (Middlesbrough) - 01642 241 864

How Karbon can help

You can also report domestic abuse to Karbon Homes.

Your call will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively; you do not have to face your problems alone.

We are committed to acting quickly, effectively and sympathetically to anyone who is experiencing domestic abuse. We will respond in a sensitive and supportive manner and anything you tell us will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Call Karbon Homes and ask to speak to the safer neighbourhoods team


We will:

  • Never disclose your personal details
  • Keep all of our responsibilities to you as a tenant
  • Offer support and advice
  • Offer same-sex/safe place interviews
  • Discuss relevant organisations that provide long-term emotional outreach support when/if you require it
  • Be sensitive and understanding when discussing your housing options
  • React quickly and effectively to make sure you are safe
  • Take relevant action against those who are responsible for domestic abuse using the conditions of our tenancy agreements
  • Give you advice and practicable help with your tenancy and other issues
  • Provide additional security measures to your property if you need them, or if it is appropriate to do so.

What is domestic abuse?

It can affect all members of the community regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, or religion.

Every person has the right to live their life free from violence, fear, abuse or neglect. We recognise the fears of those suffering from domestic violence; and we want to help those suffering from it to be able to seek help.

Types of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can encompass, but is not limited to:

  • Physical violence, for example: kicking, punching, pushing, slapping, restraining, damaging items of sentimental value, stabbing, attempted murder, murder
  • Sexual violence, for example: non-consensual sexual activity, including rape, sexual assault, making you do things you don’t want to do, or refusing safe sex
  • Financial, for example: taking or controlling your money, running up debts, withholding benefit books or bank cards
  • Emotional/Psychological, for example: making you unhappy, verbal abuse, humiliation, constant criticism, intimidation, isolation, enforced trivial routines
  • Coercive/controlling, for example: restricting freedom, controlling who the victim sees, where they go, what they wear and what they do, imprisonment, stalking and forced marriage.

Frequently asked questions

Will the person I am reporting know that I’ve asked for help?

We will never inform the person responsible for the abuse that we have spoken to you. Your safety is our main concern and we will not take any action against this person without speaking to you first.

In most cases we will only take action if you give us your permission or consent. Exceptions to this could occur if we feel that you or someone else is at immediate significant risk of harm.

Where can I go for emergency help if I’m homeless?

If you are homeless, or worried that you may become homeless due to domestic abuse, you can get urgent advice and help from the Housing Department of your Local Authority who will assess your situation and decide whether they have a duty to give you housing, or other practicable help. They can also give you advice on where else to go for help and what your rights are. All Local Authorities have a 24-hour telephone service for people in emergency situations.

You could also go to your GP, health visitor, or social worker who can get advice on your behalf. The police can also offer assistance and advice in relation to domestic abuse.

Can I get help if I’m a victim of forced marriage or ‘honour’-based violence?


You have the right to choose. If you or someone you know is being forced in to a marriage or is a victim of ‘honour’-based violence, contact Choice Forced Marriage Helpline on 08005 999 365.

How can I stay safe online?

If you are concerned that someone may see what you have been looking at online, there are a few things you can do to minimise the chances of them finding out.

You can delete your browser history by following the guides below. Click on the link for whichever browser you use for instructions on how to do it.

Most internet browsers also have a ‘Private Browser’ mode you can use. Entering this mode allows you to view web pages without any history, cookies, or temporary internet files being saved. This allows you to cover your tracks while you browse without having to remember to delete everything afterwards.

The safest way to cover your tracks is to access the internet from a computer at an internet café, local library, or a friend/family member’s house.

What if I need to leave home immediately?

If you need to leave your home immediately, make sure you have all of your personal documents and essential belonging easily accessible, for example:

  • Contact details for the local refuge
  • Contact details for family member who can provide refuge
  • Legal documents (passport/birth certificate/driving licence)
  • Money/bank cards
  • Change of clothes for yourself and children

What is Clare's Law?

Clare's Law is there to help you find out if your partner has a history of abuse
If you are concerned that you do not know your partner's true past, Clare's Law is there to provide you with protection.

In 2009, Clare Wood was murdered by her ex-partner who had a history of violence against women. Following this, 'Clare's Law' was brought in which is formally known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme - it allows people to request domestic violence history relating to their partner (for example, when beginning a new relationship).

The majority of people may know their partner has been convicted, but do you know the real reason or just what your partner has told you?

Clare's Law can be accessed by contacting the police, who will carry out checks to show whether or not a person may be at risk of domestic abuse from their partner. The police will then consider whether or not to disclose this information.

If you are in a relationship and a victim of domestic abuse, then it is important that you seek help immediately. If you feel unable to end your relationship due to concerns about your partner's behaviour, then it may be possible to seek a non-molestation order to provide yourself and any children of the family with protection.

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more