Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be able to help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

What is PIP?

Personal Independence Payments helps people aged 16 to 64 with the extra costs of disability or long-term health conditions.

PIP is a non-means tested benefit, so it doesn’t matter how much you earn or have in savings to get it.

PIP replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claims in April 2013. DLA can still be claimed for children, and Attendance Allowance can be claimed for people ages 65 and over.


Can I claim PIP?

To claim PIP you need to be aged 16 to 64 and have a disability or long-term health condition.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Have difficulty with getting around or need help with daily tasks (or both) for three months
  • Expect to need help for at least another nine months (unless you are terminally ill with less than six months to live)

There are other conditions to making a claim for PIP, so please call us for advice or visit the GOV.UK website for information.

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you don’t need to claim for PIP until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to make a claim. See our FAQ for more information about transitioning from DLA to PIP.


How much could I be entitled to?

You could receive between £22 and £141.10 a week by claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

PIP is made up of two parts:

Daily living - Standard and enhanced rates for help with daily living are either £55.65 or £83.10 per week.

Mobility - Standard and enhanced rates for help with mobility are either £22 or £58 per week.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. So you might qualify for one component or both.


How do I claim PIP?

Claim by telephone – Begin your claim for PIP by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222

Other ways to claim – You can also claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.

What happens next
  1. If you’re eligible to make a claim, the DWP will send you a ‘How your disability affects you’ form – also known as a PIP 2 form

  2. It’s very important that you fill this form out carefully and think about each question. You need to give as much detail as possible about your disability or health condition. Contact us for advice on filling out this form. If you need extra help, ask for an appointment or home visit and we will complete the form with you. Alternatively, the Citizens Advice website has a helpful article to help filling in your PIP claim form

  3. Once the DWP receives your form they will decide whether you need a medical assessment.

    The assessment is usually a face-to-face consultation where you’ll be asked questions about how your condition affects your daily life and your ability to carry out activities. Citizens Advice has advice on how to prepare for a PIP assessment

  4. After your assessment, you’ll receive a letter from the DWP that will tell you whether you’ll get PIP and how much it will be. Once you have your decision, please contact us. You may be eligible for more financial help or if you disagree with the decision, we can help you challenge it.

If you're already claiming DLA

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you don’t need to claim for PIP until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to make a claim.

PIP is being introduced in stages, so you may not be invited to claim straight away.

You can keep getting DLA if you’re under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim. Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about how PIP may affect you.

Once you transition from DLA to PIP, you might qualify for less money than you were getting on DLA, or your award could be stopped entirely. There is no equivalent of low-rate care DLA in Personal Independence Payment.

If you’re worried about coping with a sudden drop in income, please get touch with one of our benefits and money advisors.

It’s also possible that your disability or health needs might have increased since your last assessment. Your PIP award might be more than you were getting on DLA and you may qualify for additional help.

The DWP will continue to pay your existing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for at least four weeks before your income is reduced or stopped.

If this happens, it’s important that you try to save any money or increase your income. You should also check that you’re getting the right benefits and entitlements as soon as possible.

Contact us so one of our benefits and money advisors can carry out a full benefits check to make sure you’re getting everything you’re entitled to.

We can help

If you are worried about your income, you should contact us. Our benefits and money team can advise you on whether any extra financial help might be available to you.

If you think you will struggle managing and budgeting your money, have physical or mental health problems that might stop you managing your money effectively, or if you need help dealing with debt, please contact one of our advisors.