Skip to main content Skip to footer

Domestic Abuse

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the police

Police: This covers Cleveland, Durham and Northumbria areas. 

In an emergency always dial 999 for immediate help, at other times dial 101 and ask for the crime desk


National Domestic Violence Helpline: Freephone 0808 2000 247 

Ran by the Refuge and Women’s Aid (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)


ChildLine: Telephone ChildLine free (the number doesn’t show up on phone bills) on 0800 11 11. 

This is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything- no problem is too big or too small.


Victims First Northumbria: Telephone 0800 011 3116 

Provides victims of crime, including domestic abuse with support and advice to help them recover.


Durham and Cleveland Victim Support: Telephone Victim Care and Advice Service on 0303 040 1099 or if you need support outside of our open hours, call our Support line for free on 08 08 16 89 111.

If you’ve been affected by crime, advice and support is available. Lines are open 9am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday. This service is run by Safe in Tees Valley. Victim Support does not run this service


The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC): Telephone 0191 221 9222

Is a place where victims can receive help and advice and a forensic examination if they have been sexually assaulted or raped. REACH (rape examination, advice, counselling and help) is the name of the SARC which covers Northumbria for men and women aged 16 and over. Visits are strictly by appointment only.


Someone Cares: Telephone 0191 2578094 

Providing free confidential counselling support for males and females (11 years and over) who have experienced any kind of abuse including domestic abuse. They specialise in providing counselling support to victim/survivors of childhood sexual abuse, rape and sexual violence in the North East region. 


Broken Rainbow National Helpline – LGBT: Telephone 0300 999 5428

Provides services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and Trans (LGBT) people who are experiencing domestic abuse.


Respect- Support for perpetrators of Domestic Abuse: Telephone on 0808 802 4040

Confidential information and advice to help perpetrators stop their violence and change their abusive behaviours.


Women’s Aid: Telephone on 0808 2000 247

The national 24hour domestic violence helpline.


The Hideout:

Women’s Aid has created this space to help children and young people to understand domestic abuse and how to take positive action.


Victim Support (National): Telephone on 0845 303 0900

Victims do not have to contact the police to access the service. Any advice/support will be totally confidential.


MALE: Telephone on 0808 801 0327

A confidential helpline to support male victims of domestic abuse.


ManKind: Telephone on 01823 334244

A confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK suffering from domestic violence or domestic abuse by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner).


Harbour MEN: we can help just call 03000 20 25 25 or email us on or text ‘Harbour’, with your message to: 60777.


Harbour – The Freedom Programme: we can help just call 03000 20 25 25 or email us on or text ‘Harbour’, with your message to: 60777

The Freedom Programme is a free 12 week programme that will help you to understand the beliefs held by abusive men and the effects of abuse upon children. The Harbour Freedom Programme takes place weekly in local areas.


National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV): Freephone 0800 970 20 70 or text “NCDV” to 60777

NCDV provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic abuse regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation. The service allows anyone to apply for an injunction within 24 hours of the first contact (in most circumstances). NCDV work in close partnership with the police, local firms of solicitors and other support agencies (Refuge, Women’s Aid etc.) to help survivors obtain speedy protection.

Website:  Email:  Online Referral:


Foundation: Telephone 0300 456 22 14

Foundation is a social inclusion charity that believes in empowering people to make changes in their lives. Our services encompass a range of services across the north of England. We work throughout Redcar and Cleveland offering support and advice relating to Domestic and Sexual violence, which can be physical, emotional, sexual, financial or psychological. We support women and children in a safe and secure refuge where women have self-contained flats furnished to a high standard. Email:


National Stalking Helpline: Telephone: 0808 802 0300

The national stalking network has been established by Network for Surviving Stalking, Protection against Stalking and the Suzy Lamplugh Trust. It is the first national helpline to specialise in providing information and advice to victims of harassment and stalking as well as their friends and family..


Clare's Law - the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, known as Clare's Law gives you a formal mechanism to make inquiries:

  • if you are concerned that your partner may pose a risk to you
  • if you're concerned that the partner of a member of your family or a friend may pose a risk to that individual.

The scheme allows the police to disclose information about a partner's previous history of domestic violence or violent acts. To find out more about Clare's Law and information on how to make an application visit Clare's Law - the domestic violence disclosure scheme.


Operation Compass: Contact:

Operation Encompass is a police and education early information-sharing partnership enabling schools to offer immediate support for children and young people experiencing domestic abuse. Information is shared by the police with a school's trained Key Adult (DSL) prior to the start of the next school day after officers have attended a domestic abuse incident thus enabling appropriate support to be given, dependent upon the needs and wishes of the child. Children experiencing domestic abuse are negatively impacted by this exposure; domestic abuse has been identified as an Adverse Childhood Experience and can lead to emotional, physical and psychological harm. Operation Encompass aims to mitigate this harm by enabling immediate support, making a child's day better and giving them a better tomorrow.


Forced Marriage Unit: Telephone 020 7008 or email

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) is raising awareness about forced marriage across the public sector. We provide expert advice to professionals, especially those confronted by forced marriage for the first time.


Choices Forced Marriage Helpline: 08005 999 365

A helpline, established by Cleveland Police, now includes Northumbria Police and Durham Constabulary and consists of specially trained staff. Advice/support can be obtained in relation to forced marriage and honour-based violence. You have the right to choose. If you or someone you know is being forced into a marriage or is a victim of honour-based violence.


Domestic Abuse and Young People:

For information on keeping children safe and identifying the signs of domestic abuse visit the NSPCC website.

How Karbon can help you

You can also report domestic abuse to Karbon Homes.

Your call will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively; you do not have to face your problems alone.

We are committed to acting quickly, effectively and sympathetically to anyone who is experiencing domestic abuse. We will respond in a sensitive and supportive manner and anything you tell us will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Call Karbon Homes and ask to speak to the safer neighbourhoods team


We will:

  • Never disclose your personal details
  • Keep all of our responsibilities to you as a tenant
  • Offer support and advice
  • Offer same-sex/safe place interviews
  • Discuss relevant organisations that provide long-term emotional outreach support when/if you require it
  • Be sensitive and understanding when discussing your housing options
  • React quickly and effectively to make sure you are safe
  • Take relevant action against those who are responsible for domestic abuse using the conditions of our tenancy agreements
  • Give you advice and practicable help with your tenancy and other issues
  • Provide additional security measures to your property if you need them, or if it is appropriate to do so.

What is domestic abuse?

It can affect all members of the community regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, or religion.

Every person has the right to live their life free from violence, fear, abuse or neglect. We recognise the fears of those suffering from domestic violence; and we want to help those suffering from it to be able to seek help.

Types of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can encompass, but is not limited to:

  • Physical violence, for example: kicking, punching, pushing, slapping, restraining, damaging items of sentimental value, stabbing, attempted murder, murder
  • Sexual violence, for example: non-consensual sexual activity, including rape, sexual assault, making you do things you don’t want to do, or refusing safe sex
  • Financial, for example: taking or controlling your money, running up debts, withholding benefit books or bank cards
  • Emotional/Psychological, for example: making you unhappy, verbal abuse, humiliation, constant criticism, intimidation, isolation, enforced trivial routines
  • Coercive/controlling, for example: restricting freedom, controlling who the victim sees, where they go, what they wear and what they do, imprisonment, stalking and forced marriage.

Domestic Abuse Self-Referral

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you can report this to Karbon Homes. Your information will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively; you do not have to face your problems alone.  

You can request contact from the Safer Communities Team at Karbon Homes who can: 

  • Offer support and advice  
  • Offer safe place interviews  
  • Submit referrals for support as needed  
  • Work with you to create a safety plan  
  • Help you with your Tenancy 
  • Review safety and security measures at your property  
  • Take appropriate action against those who are responsible for domestic abuse in line with our Tenancy Agreements.  

Our Safer Communities Team will aim to make contact with you at the first available opportunity within the safe times for contact information you provide us.

You can contact us by calling 0808 164 0111 or send us an email at containing or provide us with the following basic information 

Domestic Abuse Self-Referral form

Please let us know what times/days you would be able to accept a call from us

Frequently asked questions

We will never inform the person responsible for the abuse that we have spoken to you. Your safety is our main concern and we will not take any action against this person without speaking to you first.

In most cases we will only take action if you give us your permission or consent. Exceptions to this could occur if we feel that you or someone else is at immediate significant risk of harm.

If you are homeless, or worried that you may become homeless due to domestic abuse, you can get urgent advice and help from the Housing Department of your Local Authority who will assess your situation and decide whether they have a duty to give you housing, or other practicable help. They can also give you advice on where else to go for help and what your rights are. All Local Authorities have a 24-hour telephone service for people in emergency situations.

You could also go to your GP, health visitor, or social worker who can get advice on your behalf. The police can also offer assistance and advice in relation to domestic abuse.


You have the right to choose. If you or someone you know is being forced in to a marriage or is a victim of ‘honour’-based violence, contact Choice Forced Marriage Helpline on 08005 999 365.

If you are concerned that someone may see what you have been looking at online, there are a few things you can do to minimise the chances of them finding out.

You can delete your browser history by following the guides below. Click on the link for whichever browser you use for instructions on how to do it.

Most internet browsers also have a ‘Private Browser’ mode you can use. Entering this mode allows you to view web pages without any history, cookies, or temporary internet files being saved. This allows you to cover your tracks while you browse without having to remember to delete everything afterwards.

The safest way to cover your tracks is to access the internet from a computer at an internet café, local library, or a friend/family member’s house.

If you need to leave your home immediately, make sure you have all of your personal documents and essential belonging easily accessible, for example:

  • Contact details for the local refuge
  • Contact details for family member who can provide refuge
  • Legal documents (passport/birth certificate/driving licence)
  • Money/bank cards
  • Change of clothes for yourself and children

Clare's Law is there to help you find out if your partner has a history of abuse. If you are concerned that you do not know your partner's true past, Clare's Law is there to provide you with protection.

In 2009, Clare Wood was murdered by her ex-partner who had a history of violence against women. Following this, 'Clare's Law' was brought in which is formally known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme - it allows people to request domestic violence history relating to their partner (for example, when beginning a new relationship).

The majority of people may know their partner has been convicted, but do you know the real reason or just what your partner has told you?

Clare's Law can be accessed by contacting the police, who will carry out checks to show whether or not a person may be at risk of domestic abuse from their partner. The police will then consider whether or not to disclose this information.

If you are in a relationship and a victim of domestic abuse, then it is important that you seek help immediately. If you feel unable to end your relationship due to concerns about your partner's behaviour, then it may be possible to seek a non-molestation order to provide yourself and any children of the family with protection.

Recite Me