Asbestos was widely used in the construction industry from the 1950s through to the mid-1980s.
It can be found in many buildings and was used in a variety of building materials. Left undisturbed, asbestos poses little danger; therefore it should not be cause for concern. However, we would like to remind you not to make alterations to your home (including drilling into walls, ceilings and floors) without prior approval.
If your electricity isn’t working and you think an appliance caused the problem:
Disconnect that piece of equipment
If your home has a fuse box, turn off the mains switch and check that the right fuses have been used
If your home has circuit breakers rather than a fusebox, turn off the mains and reset the circuit. Don’t keep replacing a fuse, or resetting the circuit breakers without correcting the fault.
If the problems continue and you can’t find the fault, please contact us. If you get an electric shock from either a switch or a socket, please contact us immediately. You must not use the switch or socket, and you should turn the circuit off at the fuse box or circuit breaker.
Our top tips for electrical safety are:
Limit the number of items you plug into one socket
Check flexes and plugs regularly to make sure they are not damaged
If fuses keep blowing or you get an electric shock from an appliance, get a qualified electrician to check the equipment for you. If it’s an appliance we have provided, please contact us immediately.
Faulty gas or solid fuel equipment can be dangerous. It leaks an odourless gas called carbon monoxide, which if breathed in, can kill.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen if:
The appliance was not installed correctly
The equipment isn’t working properly
The appliance has not been checked for safety and maintained regularly
There isn’t enough fresh air in the room
Your chimney or flue is blocked
Unqualified tradesperson installing/servicing the appliance.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness or drowsiness, headache, chest pains and stomach pains. If you notice yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance or your pilot light often blows out, this could mean a problem – make sure you let us know immediately.
If you think a gas appliance in your home isn’t working properly, don’t use it. Never cover up appliances or block the vents. And don’t cover or block the outside flues.
To keep you safe, we will service all homes with gas or solid fuel at least once a year.
Please make sure you let the engineer in to do this important job. This work is essential to ensure your appliance works safely and efficiently and we would ask that you make every effort to allow access to the engineer when your service is due. If you fail to allow access we may have to consider legal action to gain access to your property.
Working with Social Care Direct, we can arrange for an initial assessment for any tenant who may have a hearing impairment and to make a recommendation to the fire service to provide a specialist smoke alarm. For more information please contact your housing officer.