Skip to main content Skip to footer

Customer Area

Home safety

Keeping you safe in your home

There is nothing more important than the safety of you and your family

We're committed to providing a safe environment for our customers to live. However, sometimes we may need your help to provide safety in your home.

More tips to keep you safe in your home

Asbestos was widely used in the construction industry from the 1950s through to the mid-1980s.

It can be found in many buildings and was used in a variety of building materials. Left undisturbed, asbestos poses little danger; therefore it should not be cause for concern. However, we would like to remind you not to make alterations to your home (including drilling into walls, ceilings and floors) without prior approval.

If your electricity isn’t working and you think an appliance caused the problem:

  • Disconnect that piece of equipment
  • If your home has a fuse box, turn off the mains switch and check that the right fuses have been used
  • If your home has circuit breakers rather than a fusebox, turn off the mains and reset the circuit. Don’t keep replacing a fuse, or resetting the circuit breakers without correcting the fault.

If the problems continue and you can’t find the fault, please contact us. If you get an electric shock from either a switch or a socket, please contact us immediately. You must not use the switch or socket, and you should turn the circuit off at the fuse box or circuit breaker.

Our top tips for electrical safety are:

  • Limit the number of items you plug into one socket
  • Check flexes and plugs regularly to make sure they are not damaged
  • If fuses keep blowing or you get an electric shock from an appliance, get a qualified electrician to check the equipment for you. If it’s an appliance we have provided, please contact us immediately.

Faulty gas or solid fuel equipment can be dangerous. It leaks an odourless gas called carbon monoxide, which if breathed in, can kill.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen if:

  • The appliance was not installed correctly
  • The equipment isn’t working properly
  • The appliance has not been checked for safety and maintained regularly
  • There isn’t enough fresh air in the room
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked
  • Unqualified tradesperson installing/servicing the appliance.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness or drowsiness, headache, chest pains and stomach pains. If you notice yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance or your pilot light often blows out, this could mean a problem – make sure you let us know immediately.

If you think a gas appliance in your home isn’t working properly, don’t use it. Never cover up appliances or block the vents. And don’t cover or block the outside flues.

By signing up to the Priority Services Register, you will receive extra support to keep you warm and safe if there’s ever an unexpected interruption to your gas or electricity supply at home.

If you or someone living in your household is eligible and might struggle without gas or electricity, even just for a few hours, by joining the PSR you’ll be seen as a priority.

You can join the register if you have

  • poor mobility or are registered disabled
  • a mental health condition
  • caring responsibilities
  • a chronic or serious illness
  • children under the age of 5

or if you are of pensionable age.

When completing the registration form, use partner code 029. Visit

To keep you safe, we will service all homes with gas or solid fuel at least once a year.

Please make sure you let the engineer in to do this important job. This work is essential to ensure your appliance works safely and efficiently and we would ask that you make every effort to allow access to the engineer when your service is due. If you fail to allow access we may have to consider legal action to gain access to your property.

If you have a smoke alarm in your home, test it monthly to make sure it is working. You must also keep it clean and dust-free, or it may not work if there is a real fire.

You should press the test button on your smoke alarm once a month to ensure it is working.

When the low battery warning signal sounds, you should replace the battery immediately. The low battery beep will sound every minute for up to 30 days when the battery needs replacing.

It is your responsibility to ensure regular cleaning of the detector and changing of batteries, where applicable. If you think your smoke alarm is faulty, please contact us.

Working with Social Care Direct, we can arrange for an initial assessment for any tenant who may have a hearing impairment and to make a recommendation to the fire service to provide a specialist smoke alarm. For more information please contact your housing officer.

Some useful security tips:

  • Keep your doors and windows locked
  • If an unknown visitor calls at your home, always check their identity. All Karbon Homes staff and partners carry identification. Never let anyone in unless you are sure who they are
  • If your house is empty, use timer lights or ask a friend or relative to pop in and check on it
  • Never leave your keys under the doormat or in any other obvious place
  • Always lock your garden shed
  • Log serial numbers of your personal belongings, especially televisions, DVDs, cameras and computers.
Recite Me