Skip to main content Skip to footer

Buying my rented home

Buying your home is a big step

We're here to help you decide if it’s the right decision for you and your family

We’ll give you all the advice, help and guidance you need throughout the buying process, signposting you to other independent agencies where necessary.

You'll firstly need to know what type of tenancy you currently have, you may be:

  • A secure tenant - someone who has a lifetime tenancy
  • An assured tenant - someone who has a fixed-term tenancy
  • A public sector tenant- someone whose landlord is a public body such as a council or housing association

If you’re unsure which applies to you, contact us via email or call 0808 164 0111

You can also find more information by reading the guide below. 

Government plans to extend Right to Buy

The Government has recently said it plans to extend the Right to Buy to housing association tenants. At this stage, there are no more details available. For this to happen, there will need to be a change in legislation. Until then, the only scheme available to housing association tenants is the Right to Acquire scheme. We will keep you updated on any changes in the future.

What are the main differences?

Right to Buy and Right to Acquire

Both schemes were designed by the Government to allow social housing customers to buy the home they currently rent, at a discount. 

The schemes operate in very similar ways – the main difference is the amount of discount you receive. These levels are determined by the Government.

The Right to Buy scheme was set up to help people buy their council homes. It also extends to customers of social landlords who obtained their secured tenancies before the date council homes were transferred to new landlords. This date depends on which organisation was your landlord before Karbon Homes.

The Right to Acquire scheme means more recent customers of social landlords aren’t ruled out from the possibility of buying their home.

Buying your rented home

The main steps

If you’re eligible for the Right to Buy discount, you could be on your way to owning your home.

Remember, the costs of owning your home are very different from those of being a tenant. You’ll need to fully understand what these costs are going to be. You’re also going to need financial and legal advice.

You can also find out more at


Fill in an application form

To start your Right to Buy journey, you can find all the documents you need below:

To start your Right to Acquire journey, you can find all the documents you need below:

Please note: If any sections of the application do not apply please mark these N/A rather than blank or the form will be returned to you.

Once you have filled in your pack and collected all relevant documents please return them by post to our head office address:

F.A.0 The Statutory Sales Team

Number Five Gosforth Park Ave

Gosforth Business Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne NE12 8EG

Photographic ID (required in both applications) can be submitted via email to

For more information email us at or call us on 0808 164 0111

For free, impartial advice about money contact the Money Matters Team by emailing or calling 0808 164 0111


Wait for a reply

We have up to 4 weeks to reply, confirming whether or not you have the Right to Buy or the Right to Acquire your home.


Receive an offer

We'll then send you an offer notice (S125) within 8 weeks for a house and 12 weeks for a flat. This sets out:

  • the property value
  • discount
  • the price you’ll pay
  • any structural problems they may know about
  • any terms and conditions. 

Survey, loans… and get advice

You have up to 12 weeks to accept our offer. It’s now that you’ll need to appoint a solicitor and arrange a mortgage or loan.  You should also consider getting a structural survey for peace of mind. 


Complete the purchase

Once you are happy with your landlord’s terms and have arranged to raise the money, you can proceed and complete your purchase.  This stage can take up to three months to complete. 

What you need to know

Repairs and your application

Whilst you have an active Right to Buy or Right to Acquire application, you can still report repairs, but we’ll only carry out the repairs that the Government requires us to do by law. 

We’ll continue to complete repairs that fall under the following categories:

  • Roof leaks / missing tiles or slates
  • Dangerous chimney stack/pots
  • Overflow gushing
  • Broken windows – cracked windows will need to be inspected by a member of our team first
  • Significant water ingress near doors and windows
  • Blocked flue to an open fire or boiler
  • Blocked or leaking foul drains, soil stacks or toilet pans
  • Blocked bath, basin or sink
  • Total or partial loss of electrical power
  • Insecure external windows, doors, or lock (including window safety catches)
  • Leaks or flooding from water or heating pipes, tanks or cistern
  • Total or partial loss of space or water heating
  • Total or partial loss of gas supply
  • Unsafe electrical fittings, power or lighting sockets
  • Total or partial loss of water supply
  • Loose or detached bannister or stair treads
  • Dangerous floorboards or stair treads
  • Mechanical extractor fan in internal kitchen or bathroom not working
Recite Me