Skip to main content Skip to footer

Noise nuisance

Noise nuisance is normally thought of as unwanted sound. It could be too loud, occurring at an inconsiderate time, or without warning.

Noise nuisance can also be very subjective and a number of factors have to be taken into account such as the time it occurs, levels of noise, frequency, duration of the noise, and the type of noise. The type of property can also be a factor, with noise being more sensitive in communal blocks and flats.

If you believe noise nuisance is being caused by domestic abuse and there are sounds as a result of fighting/arguing, you should phone the police if you think someone’s safety is at risk.

Types of noise nuisance

Sound systems, TVs, home entertainment systems and video game consoles can produce very high levels of noise.

Please be considerate and check the volume on your devices. You may unwittingly be causing a disturbance!

To avoid problems, you can:

  • Lower the volume
  • Move speakers away from walls and floors – raise them up if you can. Keep the volume reasonable, taking into account the time of day. If in doubt, use headphones
  • Balance the speakers of a home cinema system to fill the room evenly – subwoofer speakers can be especially disturbing
  • Some children’s toys can be very noisy – if they are driving you mad they could be annoying your neighbours too. When it all gets too much, give them a quieter alternative.

Home maintenance is essential, but lot of DIY can be very noisy.

Hammering, sanding, scraping and even car maintenance can all take their toll on neighbours and the rest of your household.

Please consider your neighbours when you are carrying out work. Let them know if you plan to do anything that involves work on party walls or floors that could be extremely noisy. Try to avoid drilling and banging late at night and early in the morning.

Please remember any alterations to your property requires written permission from Karbon Homes before you start work.

We all have to complete household chores, but a number of them can be very noisy. Before you decide to do a spot of hoovering or mowing the garden, stop and think about the time of day you are doing this work. Neighbours might not like to be disturbed by these noises at 6am and in late evening; especially if they have young children who may be in bed.

House work tasks between 7am and 7pm would not necessarily be deemed as noise nuisance.

If you're planning a party, your neighbours are likely to be much more understanding if you alert them well in advance and explain the reason for the party. Consider agreeing a time that the music will stop or guests will leave the party.

Not all noise is anti-social behaviour. You could be disturbed for a number of reasons, including:

  • A clash of lifestyles – this could be if you work shifts and your neighbour doesn’t, or perhaps stays at home. A TV being played during the day does not necessarily amount to anti-social behaviour even if you are trying to sleep
  • Sensitivity to noise – some people are overly sensitive to noise
  • Poor sound insulation through a property. This can be particularly sensitive in flats and communal blocks
  • Footfall on laminate flooring can create an issue, particularly in flats
  • Dogs barking
  • Doors slamming

How we can help

There are a number of ways we may deal with perpetrators of noise nuisance:

  • We may consider the use of a mediation service
  • If the complaint can be substantiated, a Tenancy Warning may be issued (verbal or written)
  • An Acceptable Behaviour Agreement may be arranged
  • Starter Tenancy Extension – All new tenants move into their home under a Starter Tenancy. This is a probationary tenancy that runs for 12 months. We may extend this period if we receive evidence of noise nuisance
  • We may serve a Section 21 Notice / Notice of Seeking Possession
  • Demotion Order – this can reduce a person’s security of tenure for a period of up to 12 months
  • We may seek an injunction in severe circumstances
  • A Possession Order or Suspended Possession Order may be granted – which is a decision made by the court.

Reporting noise nuisance

Before reporting an incident, have you considered speaking to your neighbour? They may not be aware that their behaviour is causing you annoyance or distress.

If you feel unable to speak to your neighbour, or have tried and the problems still persist, report the problem.

If you are reporting an incident about a Karbon resident, you can report the issue by recording the noise and sending it to us via the noise app or calling us.

If you report an incident outside our normal office hours you will be offered our iWitness service, which is used to obtain 3rd party independent evidence of the disturbance providing the incident is ongoing at the time it is being reported.

For complaints against an owner occupier or private tenant, please contact the relevant Local Authority or the police by calling 101.

Recite Me